CDL Driver Job Description:
CDL Driver- Preferred minimum of 6 months documented field experience in chosen craft discipline. Must have the ability to read and interpret instructions and documentation. The level and degree of job responsibilities and requirements vary depending on months of experience and assigned. Helpers primarily assist in these activities.
CDL DRIVER SUMMARY: Class B CDL License required. Work is in one location in Las Vegas, NV
CDL DRIVER RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Perform frequent lifting, pulling, pushing, and carrying of material of various weights.
• Secure all shipments by tying down, covering or bracing materials, as required.- Inspect trucks for defects and safe operating condition before, during, and after trips and submit a written report (Drivers' Vehicle Inspection Report - DVIR) on the condition of the truck at the end of each trip or tour of duty.
• Check shipping papers to determine the nature of load and to check for the presence of hazardous materials.
• When hazardous materials are present, check:
• Proper preparation of shipping papers,
• Agreement between information on shipping papers and markings and labeling on freight; and,
• Ascertain that vehicle is properly placarded.
• Drive truck to destination in accordance with federal regulations, normally in periods of up to eleven (11) hours of driving followed by an off-duty period of at least ten (10) consecutive hours. May drive only if eight (8) hours or less have passed since the end of the driver's last off-duty or sleeper-berth period of at least thirty (30) minutes.
• Apply knowledge of commercial driving and skills in maneuvering vehicle at varying speeds in difficult situations, such as heavy traffic, inclement weather, or in tight loading areas on and around congested heavy construction project sites.
• Ensure that all shipment documentation (e.g., manifest, security seal sheets, bills of lading, shipping orders, or freight bills, etc.) required to move with shipments is available for inspection and that appropriate paperwork accompanies shipment when delivered.
• Maintain records required for compliance with state and federal regulations including drivers' logs, records of fuel purchases, mileage records, and other records required by law.
• Perform all duties in accordance with company policies and procedures, and comply with all federal, state, and local regulations for the safe operation of a commercial motor vehicle on heavy construction project sites.
• Report all accidents involving driver or company equipment. Report highway safety hazards noted en route.
• Promptly report any delays due to breakdowns, weather or traffic conditions or other emergencies, or in the event of irregularities relating to loading or delivery of materials.
CDL DRIVER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• The safe and legal operation of a commercial motor vehicle on and around a congested heavy construction project site.
• Safe and timely presentation of materials from origin to destination on or around a congested heavy construction project site.
• Proper loading and unloading of materials to assure safety of loaded materials and minimal risk/danger to people.
• Proper handling and accurate completion of all necessary paperwork related to truck operations and materials movements.
• Professional representation of the company through responsible driving.
CDL DRIVER QUALIFICATIONS:
• Must possess a valid Commercial Driver's License (Class A or Class B with Hazardous endorsements).
• Must have an acceptable Motor Vehicle Record
• Must have 2 year previous Commercial Motor Vehicle driving experience on heavy construction project sites.
• Must have the ability to read, write, and speak in English, and perform simple mathematical calculations with general mental ability to handle receipts, read maps, road signs, maintain logs, etc.
• Must have good oral communication skills.
• Must be able to follow written directions and take directions verbally, as well as via two-way radio or by phone.
• Must have working knowledge of vehicle safety and control systems.
• Must have knowledge of DOT regulations governing safe driving, hours of service, inspection and maintenance, and transportation of hazardous materials.
• Must meet or exceed the medical standards of the U.S Dept. of Transportation.
• Must satisfactorily pass a drug test.
• Must satisfactorily pass an alcohol test (if applicable).
CDL DRIVER PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Must meet the medical criteria required by the company physical and according to Federal DOT regulations/requirements.
• Must be able to frequently reach for materials at waist level and frequently reach for materials about shoulder height or below waist level.
• Must be able to occasionally reach above shoulder level, at waist level, and below waist level for maneuvering and direction the controls to operate the truck.
• Must be able to lock and release pintle-hooks, attach and release safety chains, climb into and out of vehicles, fuel vehicles and check engine oil and coolant levels.
• Drivers may be subject to irregular work schedules, temperature and weather extremes, short notice for assignment and other stresses and fatigue related to driving a large commercial motor vehicle on crowded streets and highways, on congested heavy construction project sites, and in all kinds of weather including icy conditions.
CDL DRIVER QUALIFICATIONS:
May require a high school diploma or its equivalent with previous years of experience in the field or in a related area. Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job. Works under immediate supervision. Primary job functions do not typically require exercising independent judgment. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager.