Ames, IA 50011 US
Apprentice Electrician- Preferred minimum of 6 months documented field experience in chosen craft discipline. Must have the ability to read and interpret instructions and documentation. The level and degree of job responsibilities and requirements vary depending on months of experience and assigned. Helpers primarily assist in these activities.
Apprentice Electrician Description:
Assist Journeyman Electricians in the following:
- Prepares sketches showing location of wiring and equipment or follows diagrams or blueprints insuring that concealed wiring is installed before completion of future walls, ceilings, and flooring.
- Measures, cuts, bends, threads, assembles and installs electrical conduit using such tools as a hacksaw, pipe threader, rules and conduit benders.
- Pulls wiring through conduit, assisted by helper.
- Splices wires by stripping insulation from terminal leads with knife or pliers, twisting or soldering wires together and applying tape or terminal caps.
- Connects wiring to lighting fixtures and power equipment using hand tools.- Installs control and distribution apparatus, such as switches, relays and circuit- breaker panels, and fastens in place with crews or bolts using hand or power tools.
- Connects power cables to equipment and installs grounding leads.
- Test continuity of circuit to insure electrical compatibility and safety of components using testing instruments such as ohmmeter, battery and buzzer and oscilloscope.
- Observes functioning of installed equipment or system to determine hazards and need for adjustments, relocation, or replacement.
- Disassembles and repairs defective electrical equipment or systems.
- Load, transport and unload material, tools, equipment and supplies.
- Maintains tools and equipment.
- Be able to distinguish colors.
- Knowledge of certain procedures such as LOTO, etc.
- Responsible for observing and complying with all safety and project rules. Performs other duties as required.
APPRENTICE ELECTRICIANS QUALIFICATIONS:
May require a high school diploma or its equivalent with previous years of experience in the field or in a related area. Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job. Works under immediate supervision. Primary job functions do not typically require exercising independent judgment. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager.